The Adventures of Shen and ShaSha: Shen, ShaSha, and a Chicken Bone

19.10.11 ShaSha LaPerf 7 Comments

This week marks the one year relationship between me and Shen. So I've decided to write this post about how we met and our first date, which resulted in a rather awkward moment on my part.



Like I mentioned some time ago, I met Shen on the internet. At the time I was working full-time and going to school part-time. Actually I was in the middle of preparing for my graduation/portfolio show, so I didn't have a lot of money or time to go out and meet people. But I was still horny as fuck so I turned to my trusty friends, internet dating sites. I had been quite some time since I had been on one and just opted to use OK Cupid since it was a site I hadn't really used much before.

Unfortunately I was still pretty busy, so I didn't spend too much time on the site, and didn't really respond or check out people. One night, I finally had time away from my school work to get out and about on the site. The search thingy came up with a list of matches and there was this one guy that I thought was cute, and had an interesting profile. But he lived in miscellanousland Maryland, which I wasn't so keen on. And it stopped me from sending him an email.

Hours later, I received an email. Sure enough, it was from the guy I'd been checking out earlier. This fool had written a good four paragraphs! I was pretty taken aback by it because I was so used to seeing the Twitter length emails from guys. I was surprised an amazed to see someone put so much effort into writing his email and actually mentioning things from my profile.

So of course I had to write back to him.

Shen and I spent the next week exchanging emails, and finally decided to meet. He was in town any for a rally and I didn't have class that weekend, so we made plans to meet in the DC area.

So the big day came and we're standing face to face. Things are a bit awkward at first since it is the first meeting, but we find ourselves becoming comfortable pretty quickly. We make out way to a small Chinese restaurant to have lunch. It's not a place I was familiar with, but I figure d what the hay. So I place and order for chicken and rice, mistakenly thinking it would be the chicken, vegetables, and rice I was used to getting at the Chinese food joints next to my apartment.

Umm...no it was not quite the same thing. The biggest hurdle for me was that the chicken had bones. In my head, I'm trying o figure out how to hold a conversation while not sawing the chicken apart with my chopsticks.

So far things are going great. We're laughing, and talking, and eating. I'm really feeling this guy. I take a bite of my chicken.

Unfortunately I failed to notice the peice of bone that was attached to the chicken.

And the bone made its way to my throat.

so I had a few options here. I could have dramatically alerted Shen in the hopes that he knew how to do the Heimlich and would save me. I could have tried to excuse myself from the lunch and ran to the restroom to try to force myself to vomit. Or I could have waited it out at the table, trying to swallow and drink water furiously in order to get the bone down.

Yep, I chose option number three. I was too embarrassed to try the first option and I was too scared to try the second one. So I chose the stupid one. Luckily I didn't end up on an episode of 1000 Ways to Die.

So I'm trying not to freak out and start swallowing like mad in the hopes that the bone would go down. Shen doesn't really notices, then again I'm trying to keep a calm face the whole time. I finally take a massive swing of my water which forces the bone to go down. My stupid option had thankfully worked, but after that moment, I decided I was "too full" to finish dinner. Normally I'm a girl that eats; I don't try that whole, "I'll just have a salad" deal. Fuck that. Give me a steak and potatoes any day. So we leave the restaurant and make our way through some museums in the area.

The conversation never ended between us. Shen was slick with his body language, always standing close to me occasionally putting his hand on my back and shoulders. I pulled out my own flirting techniques, using jokes and things to keep him laughing and putting my own hands in strategic places.


I had only planned to be out with Shen for maybe 2-3 hours, but the 2-3 hours turned into 6-7 hours. In fact we ended up getting hungry again and decided to have dinner. This time we just chose a burger and fries joint, since it was in the area.

But eventually the date needed to be over, and ended up at the Metro station. We were going in different directions. We were both feeling each other and already making plans to see each other again.

so again I had a set of options here. I could have invited him over to my place. I could have just planted a big kiss on him then and there. I could have given him a hug and said we'd talk soon.

Of course I chose option No. 3. I'm not afraid to be bold and one night stands weren't a big deal to me. But I didn't want this to be a one night stand. And I'm also not very big on PDA regardless of the person, yet I'm comfortable enough to hug in public. So I gave him a hug.

The one date turned into many dates. Then weekends together, than weekdays together until eventually we decided to live together. We're planning to have a broke people's anniversary celebration, which will more or less be us retracing the steps of our first date (though we will probably slip a movie and some wine in there somewhere).

I know, I know, y'all are like, "Psst! A year is nothing!" but hey, it's been a great year and I'm looking forward to what's to come. I don't plan to spent too much time wondering about our future because I'm pretty happy thinking in the present.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your story is so sweet and I personally don't think a year is nothing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing at the part when you said " broke person's anniversary"..Seriously, though congratulations on your one year anniversary of being together with Shen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats..! Sounds like you guys have a great thing going. I'm really glad you don't didn't choke on that bone O_O That sounds so scary~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your one year! The story of how you met is really cute. I loved this story. Though I must say that

    I'm glad you didn't choke on that bone. That would have been a very scary situation. I've choked on ice before and boy did that felt weird stuck in my throat. x_x lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks for the support! Ugh I can't imagine choking on ice! That sounds cold and painful. I think the bone I swallowed was curved which helped it go down because I think it would have been way more painful and dangerous had it been more on the pointy side. LOL I told Shen about the chicken bone months after and he was like, "why didn't you tell me!?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was cold and painful. The worst Dx It happened when I was young. From what I recall, I had been chewing on ice and my favorite commercial came on and I got a little over excited and the rest if history ^^; Lol, you must have looked extremely calm for him not to notice you choking. xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Shen is a bit oblivious at time so unless I threw myself in his face he probably wouldn't have noticed. I tend to eat fast too especially on dates. I think he did comment on how fast I was eating.

    ReplyDelete