The Adventures of Shen and ShaSha: When Geeks Collide

2.3.12 ShaSha LaPerf 6 Comments



This is just a small portion of the geeky shit we have laying about in our apartment

So Shen and I have what I like to call geek-like tendencies. I've been an anime/manga fan for about 13 years now though I have hit the "Anime today is just terrible things in the 90s and early '00s was SO MUCH BETTER!" phase of fandom. But I also enjoy a good sci-fi book or movie, playing a video game every now and then and checking out new technology. I'm also an avid roller coaster fan, I know way too much about them. Shen's geekiness is more of the sci-fi variety with him being a fan of stuff like Star Wars, Battlestar Gallactica, Stargate, and what not. Though he's also a huge fan of Transformers and Harry Potter. I say "geek-like" tendencies, because we do enjoy these things and we do have a fair amount of knowledge of them but we have a ton of other general interests that don't fit into the standard idea of geeks--Shen is a huge college sports fan and I'm addicted to reality TV for example.

It's funny because Shen is probably the first man I've been with that has GLT. When I first got into anime, I wanted to meet and date men who liked it. Unfortunately geek culture in general has a nasty tracks for its lax ideas on racism and sexism, and I found myself constantly being challenged for liking said things due to my race and gender. In other case the only thing I had in commons with the guy was say anime. One guy seem completely horrified that I liked going dancing or shopping and...well not staying in my house all the damn time. Sadly I am pulling the experience card here--yes, feel free to call me a hypocrite--so I shut myself out of geek culture when it came to dating. Men who were not apart of geek culture were surprised that I liked such things, but didn't care too much about it. Since I did have other interests in things, we would talk about those instead; I like my geeking out for my girlfriends or online.

I didn't know Shen had GLT until I went to the house he shared with his brother and found Star Wars Lego sets and a pretty extensive collection of Star Wars, Lord of the Ring, and Harry Potter movies. He also revealed that he and his brother had been avid comic collectors in their younger days. Shen knew I liked anime, but it wasn't until I revealed the six storage bins of manga and DVDs that he got a full sense of how big of a fan I was. LOL he still has no clue about the anime posters I stashed in my art portfolio--the tape ruined the walls. :(

LOL obviously I'm a fan of shoujo and josei manga.


Anyway, Shen and I have a few things in common when it commons to our GLT. He's not the only one who's a fan of Transformers. And I mean the 80s version, not those crappy Michael Bay shits. I suppose a large amount of this is to blame on The Hub and pure nostalgia. But we've had serious discussions about the show, debating whether or not Optimus Prime is actually a good leader or is Jazz and Blaster were supposed to be the "black" Transformers. We spent a few days on eBay searching for toys and eventually started collecting Kre-O Transformers, which is basically a Lego-like set that you can build Transformers in robot or car form. Hell we even have the Transformers Wiki bookmarked on each of our computers! Besides Transformers we enjoy a good game of Mario Kart or Super Mario Brothers (and DJ Hero 2) and of course The Walking Dead. We're slowing but surely making our way through the comics now. In my last blog I mentioned that I had bought a bucket of Legos for me and Shen to play with. Yeah, I really wasn't kidding:

I built that little house.


But sometimes our GLT doesn't always flow that well. Like I said Shen is a big fan of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, two things I'm not a fan of at all. Shen just insists that I don't understand what awesomeness is. However, Shen isn't a fan of anime outside of Miyazaki movies--we just went to go see The Secret World of Arrietty--and Transformers Headmasters. I tried to get him to watch shows like Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin and he fell asleep on both of them! I haven't even bothered to get him to read any manga.

A recent comic book purchase by Shen.

Despite our non-interest in Star Wars and anime, we do find other ways to compromise. I'm pretty indifferent to the Harry Potter movies, but I know Shen loves them and the books. So I went with him to see the last two films and even paid extra to seem them in IMAX form. I know The Hobbit movie is coming out in the near future, and I'll probably go with him and will put a big effort into keeping my mouth shut when I go. Shen went with me to Otakon last year and didn't get upset at me groping Chemistry, LOL. But he did enjoy the other aspects of the con like the merchandise room and seeing the costumes. He even offered to go to Katsucon with me in February though we chose not to go because of other things we needed to do that weekend.

I was hesitate when it came to dating geeks or even people with GLT, it's one of the things I like most about Shen. LOL honestly I prefer GLT Shen to Sports-Watching Shen, that's a whole other blog post. >_< Although Shen isn't a fan of some of the things I like, he never puts me down for liking them or tries to force me into liking his activities, and I'm the same way with him. We're both open to trying things--him with trying Trigun and me with Star Wars (well Star Wars: The Clone Wars recently) and if these things don't peak our interest, that's the end of the conversation. We'll focus more on the geeky things we do have in common or even try other geeky things together.

Speaking on, Transformers Prime is on...time for me to head back to the TV.




6 comments:

  1. Lol, this was a cute/funny post to read. I myself am an avid anime fan and own lots of box sets of various anime and volumes as well! However, I don't have many manga like you have XD I only had four and lost two of them T__T; I tend to read them online, such as, Naruto, NANA (which I terribly miss Dx), Kyou Koi wo Hajimemasu (it's completed already), Dengeki Daisy, Ao no Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland. Besides that, I don't really read anything else unless it caught my attention.

    To be honest, I would like to meet a guy who likes anime like me as well. Most guys who I've spoken to in the past either didn't like anime, didn't know what I was talking about or stopped watching it. The ones who did like anime, we were only platonic friends and that's it.

    I must say that Trigun is really good! Normally I watch the subbed version when it comes to anime, but I've seen that in English and I met Johnny Yong Bosch at the Godaikocon last year. I asked him to say anything in Ichigo's voice for me while I video recorded him on my phone and he did. I had a smile on my face that entire day XD He made my day! I should seriously end my comment before I write a book about anime, haha.


    (PS: I'm a huge fan of Miyazki and wanted to know how was The Secret World of Arrietty? I really want to see that movie.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority of my anime and manga collection are older works. Half of my manga is in Japanese like NANA and Hana Yori Dango, both of which I bought in Japan. I don't think I've read any newer series except for maybe The Tale of Saiunkoku.

      Compared to when I first got into anime, I think there are way more guys into anime now. I think the anime culture has issues at times though particularly with misogyny, but there is a fair amount of guys that like anime and aren't crazy. LOL most of them are out of my age range though.

      Trigun is a fan fave and Shen likes action and comedy related things so I thought it would be a good choice. But he fell asleep! :( In the future I'll probably try again, maybe with Getbackers or Ranma 1/2. Haha I haven't exposed him to Sailor Moon or any of my shoujo series yet.


      Arrietty was okay. It's not the best Ghibli movie and had some cute moments but the ending felt a bit rushed an anticlimatic. In general Ghibli has been slipping to me. I didn't like Ponyo or Howl's Moving Castle. I haven't see Tales of Earthsea but I heard it wasn't so good.

      Delete
  2. I like sci-fi,but the only thing that come close to me being a anime lover was watching old series of G-force( I didn't know that cartoon was considered that until now) and Pokemon( Pikachu was my favorite character on the show). I liked any parts of the Transformers, Independence Day. Now I wasn't a big Harry Potter fan,but I got to see the last series of it and I have to admit, it was really good..not a bit disappointed whatsoever(. People may have thought I felt that way about because it was the final installment of it,but that wasn't the case,it was very good). I liked Lord of the rings,but some of these movie theaters should have beds in them because the movie can be sooo long. No matter how good that was, I almost went to sleep on it.

    Now I've been a long term fan of Marvel comics since I was a child. Everytime my brother would get his books, I would read them. The X-men was my favorite one( thought the movie was ok) mainly because the certainly degree of realistic societal themes that was in it. You can find romance, action , mystery and comedy all on one with it. Though DC isn't my favorite, there were a couple of them that I liked: Wonder Woman( I liked the series more), and The Teen Titans. I'm looking forward watching the Avengers( One of those great books that I loved reading) coming out. I'm going to try to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of American comics, but the Walking Dead is opening me up to checking out some series. I just don't know where to start. :( I've always wanted to read Batman because I liked the animated series that came out in the mid-90s as well as Batman Beyond. But I know the series gets a bunch of different reboots and alternate universes so I'm at a lost Transformers has comics too which I may look into. And again my interest in X-men was fueled by the cartoon in the 90s; does Storm have her own series? For some reason I thought she did. There are a few comic books shops in the DC area that Shen and I are starting to make our way through. I might just have to walk past the manga section and jump right into an American one so I can get a start somewhere.

      Delete
  3. Awww it's sweet that you guys can share the things you like together and let each other have individual interests too. I think that's key to a happy relationship. You guys are cute!

    ReplyDelete