The Adventures of Shen and ShaSha: Christmas Edition

19.12.12 ShaSha LaPerf 1 Comments


Welp, it's that time of the year! Time for the standard Christmas blog post!

This will be the third Christmas Shen and I are spending together ans this year will probably be the biggest with the trip. But Christmas hasn't always been that smooth for us.

You see, I'm one of "those" people that don't isn't really a Christian--the last time I went to church not to attend a funeral or a wedding was when my mom asked me to go for Mother's Day. However, I love Christmas! I don't go overboard with decoration, but I do like to put a tree, have a gift exchange, and have a nice family dinner. I like the overall atmosphere and feelings of it and seeing sparkly shit all over the place. I have one of those families that generally hate each other but keep the boozing down to be cordial during Christmas. So while I don't think Christmas is a big deal for me, I do like to have fun at that time.


Shen on the other hand, isn't really into Christmas. Part of it is culturally based. Although some folks in his family are Christian, he wasn't raised as such and didn't really celebrate it in his home. The other part is he's a somewhat cynical bastard that's probably already to poo poo on our hypothetical kids' ideas of Santa Claus. Despite Shen's indifference to Christmas, he really, really likes this song:




The first Christmas we spent together was a bit awkward. We'd only been dating for maybe a month or two and couldn't really decide if we should have a Christmas gift exchange. In the end, we were out shopping one day, saw some things we wanted, then had the other person buy it. We wrapped the gifts and pretended to be all excited about everything we got.

Yeah, we were losers, LOL.

Last year, I wanted to be a bit more conventional with things. I decided to put up a Christmas tree in our tiny apartment. Shen didn't have much interest in helping out, which bummed me out a bit, but I was like screw it. I'm putting this baby up! I also wanted the gift giving to a bit more of a surprise this year as well. This initially didn't go as planned either. Shen was against the idea stating he didn't know what I would like or want. He doesn't like shopping for other people, y'all should see him trying to decide what to get people for birthday presents, LOL. He was concerned about how much to budget, when to go shopping, actually wrapping gifts, blah, blah, blah. Although I knew exactly what I was getting Shen, whenever I jokingly asked him what he wanted, he gave me either an "I want everything," or "I want nothing." I guess it bugged me because at times he is pretty indecisive and gives me an exasperated "do whatever you want" which defeats the purpose of me asking for his opinion.

But things didn't turn out too bad. Shen loved everything I got him (some Kreo Transformer sets, Battlestar Galactica DVDs, and a few other things). I think he was surprised that I'd read well enough to get things I knew he would like. I was also surprised at Shen's gift for me as well including The Karate Kid on Blu Ray, Zumba Fitness 2 for the Wii, a Professor Layton game). We went to my mom's house for dinner, and had a great time.

This year, when I brought out the tree, I was pleasantly surprised that Shen wanted to help me decorated. He also bought Christmas cards to send out to people, and even bought his nieces' Christmas gifts, something he didn't really do before. Shen's also demanded I play "Oh Santa" more often, LOL. He's definitely more into the Christmas spirit this year. Although we decided the New York trip would be our gift to each other this year, we're also deciding if he still want to have a gift exchange on Christmas day anyway. We'll see what happens.

Well that's it for now. I'm planning to pump out another blog post before leaving town. Still need to get out that crazy story of me and my friend at Christmas in Japan. Ahh, the WTF memories...

1 comment:

  1. Lol cute :) It's cool to enjoy Christmas together.

    I'm less and less into Christmas...I was "meh" when we had to decorate the tree but I eventually helped. I don't even know what gifts I want, guess I'll get the usual scarf and book with some money :p

    ReplyDelete